The earth knows my name. I hear her call it.
“It’s time…,” she tells me. Her voice a gentle whisper.
There is no trace of my garden buried under two feet of snow. No hint of Spring in the air. And yet, like the magnetic forces beginning to draw the birds back north, I hear her beckon.
Having listened for so many years, I am elated to hear her voice begin to grow stronger once again. And, as I have for so many years, I answer her call.
This morning I placed my order for organic seeds from Seeds of Change. Normally, I wouldn’t be ordering so many packs (I grow my own seeds), but I tried an experiment this past summer that, um, didn’t go too well. The long and short of it was that I wasn’t able to save very many seeds. These are the extra ones I’ll be needing.
- 1 PACK, BEAN, BUSH, BLUE LAKE
- 1 PACK, BEAN, POLE, DOW PURPLE PODDED
- 1 PACK, CARROT, OXHEART
- 1 PACK, CHINESE CABBAGE, CHINA CHOY
- 1 PACK, CORN, JAPANESE HULLESS
- 1 PACK, CUCUMBER, LEMON
- 1 PACK, EGGPLANT, ROSA BIANCA
- 1 PACK, GOURD, BIRD’S NEST OR BOTTLE
- 1 PACK, LETTUCE, BUTTERHEAD
- 1 PACK, LETTUCE, ROMAINE
- 1 PACK, PEA, SUGAR SNAP
- 1 PACK, PEPPER, SWEET, ACONCAGUA
- 1 PACK, PUMPKIN, JACK-O-LITE
- 1 PACK, QUINOA, DAVE (FOUR-O-SEVEN)
- 1 PACK, SUMMER SQUASH BLACK EEL ZUCCHINI
- 1 PACK, SQUASH, STELLA BLUE
- 1 PACK, TOMATO, MATT’S WILD CHERRY
- 1 PACK, WATERMELLON, SUGAR BABY
As soon as the seeds come, I’ll start the more tender ones indoors in seedling packs. The rest I’ll direct-sow starting in early May through the beginning of June, with a second planting in July and August.
For my labor of love and a total of $42.87, the earth will gift me with a bounty of food that will keep my family and friends fed for months.